Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ace's French Onion Soup

This one's a guaranteed original. Ace DuMond came up with it "off the top of his head" the other day while cooking dinner, and he promptly emailed it so we could get it on the site.

3 lb. red onions
2 lb. yellow onions

Cook them in butter for about two hours.

3 cups beef broth
5 cups chicken broth
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup merlot
Parsley, bay leaves and thyme tied up in cheesecloth

Add these liquid ingredients and herbs and simmer for about another hour.

Toasted sourdough bread
Grated swiss cheese
Grated havarti cheese

Put soup in bowls, top with sourdough and cheeses, and put under broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.

For another french onion soup recipe we published back in December, go here.

1 comment:

Ignazio Salvatore Basile said...

I met your blog by chance, just travelling around. I was born in 1954 too! But on the 11th of may! I like good food! Don't you have any italian dish on your blog? I'll see you soon! If you like poetry please come to visit my blog! I'll be posting very soon also the First Chapter of my Novel "The Essence of Life" Albix