Thursday, July 23, 2009

BBQ 101 - Part 3

This is the third in a four-part series based on the BBQ knowledge accumulated over the years by John Bucy of Wilder, Idaho.

John’s Bronco BBQ Sauce


3 – Big bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce. (My latest has been Sweet Baby James.)
3 – 12 oz. bottles of dark molasses
1-1/2 – jar Vietnamese Pepper Paste*
1/3 qt. jar of minced garlic
12 oz. yellow mustard (French’s)
½ Bottle hot sauce (optional)

*This is a chili garlic Sauce. The one I used is made by Huy Fong Foods and as I remember, it has an outline of a rooster on the label. It is a bright red sauce with seeds. Also, on the label it says, “Tuong ot Toi Vietnam”. I have found it where one says “HOT”, but regular is good enough for me.

Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan and simmer. It doesn’t need a long time to cook, just enough for all ingredients to blend. I usually give some away and use the rest. This normally lasts a year. Keep it refrigerated and whatever storage container you use, unless it is glass, dedicate it to this recipe, because you will never get the “flavor” out of a plastic container!!

The original recipe that I started with called for the additional hot sauce. For my taste, the Vietnamese Pepper Paste provides enough “fire”. While the sauce itself tastes hot, once you brush (or dip) a small amount on whatever meat you are cooking, it is very flavorful and not overpowering.

No comments: